Nigerian Stick Meat is a crunchy and delicious snack also known as beef kebab or beef skewers. It is a popular small chop, usually served at parties and other festive events.
It is similar to Nigerian suya and beef jerky (Kilishi). Nigerian Stick Meat needs to look colourful, so use any vegetable with contrasting colors that suits your appetite and taste.
Below is a detailed and easy recipe to make the best Nigerian Stick Meat.
Ingredients For Nigerian Stick Meat:
• 300g Beef
• 1 medium green bell pepper
• 2 medium red bell peppers
• Powdered pepper to taste
• 2 seasoning cubes
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• 1 big onion
• Salt to taste
• Vegetable oil
What You'll Need
• Wooden beef skewers/sticks
Directions For Nigerian Stick Meat:
• Slice the meat into small pieces and place in a bowl, then add the thyme, powdered pepper and seasoning cubes to it.
• Mix the beef and all added ingredients by hand, rub the seasonings into the meat. Then, cover and place it in the fridge to marinate for about an hour.
• Wash the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Then, chop all the vegetables into medium size shapes and set aside.
• Bring out the marinated beef after an hour and place it in a pot. Add a little water, cover and simmer at medium heat.
• When the underside turns pale, flip the beef pieces to cook the top side as well. If you are cooking a full pot of meat, leave it to cook till all the beef pieces looks pale.
• Now, begin to stir the pale meat constantly till all the water in it dries up. By pouring away the beef stock, you would lose some flavours.
• Next, add some salt to taste and set aside. And in a different pot, heat a depth of 3 inches vegetable oil.
• When the oil is hot, fry the beef pieces till dry and brown. While stirring constantly, so the meat will brown evenly.
• Remove and place in a sieve lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil then leave to cool. Now, put the fried meat and vegetables one after the other onto the sticks.
• Combine the beef and vegetables the way you want but make sure the final result looks appetizing and colourful.
• Nigerian Stick Meat (Beef Kebab) can be served with Zobo drink or any other chilled drink of your choice. Enjoy!
• Please share and leave a comment below, and don't forget to give me feedback on how your Nigerian Stick Meat turned out.