They are many ways to enjoy snails and Nigerian Snail Pepper Soup is one of them. You can also make peppered snail or snail stew, which is very appetizing and delicious as well.
Below is a detailed and easy recipe to make the best Nigerian Snail Pepper Soup.
Ingredients For Nigerian Snail Pepper Soup:
• 10 small snails
• 3 seeds calabash nutmeg
• 1 medium sized onion
• 2 seasoning cubes
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• 2 tablespoons ground pepper
• Salt to taste
Directions For Nigerian Snail Pepper Soup:
• Use a frying pan to roast the nutmeg seeds, keep stirring constantly till you can smell it. Then try to remove the skin, if it comes off easily, the nutmeg is done.
• Now, peel off the nutmeg skin and pound into a smooth powder then set aside. Wash and chop the onions into small pieces and set aside.
• Properly break off the shells from the snails and wash them with alum or lime. Rinse with water 2 or 3 times to totally remove any shell particles left on the snails.
• Now, place the cleaned snails in a medium sized pot and pour enough water to cover it. Add the seasoning cubes, ground pepper and chopped onions then cover and leave to boil.
• When it starts boiling, add salt to taste, the nutmeg and thyme. Then cover and leave to cook for about 10 minutes.
• Once the snail is done, leave to simmer for about 3 minutes and that's it, your delicious Nigerian Snail Pepper Soup is ready.
• Nigerian Snail Pepper Soup can be served with palm wine, malt, zobo drink or any other drink of your choice. Enjoy!
• Please share and leave a comment below, and don't forget to give me feedback on how your Nigerian Snail Pepper Soup turned out.