It is simply well seasoned minced chicken and vegetables, wrapped in a Spring Roll wrapper and then deep fried or baked.
Below is a detailed and easy recipe to make the best Nigerian Spring Roll.
Ingredients For Nigerian Spring Roll:
• 15 spring roll wrappers
• 300g chicken breast
• 250g cabbage
• 4 medium sized carrots
• 100ml chicken stock
• 1 small green bell pepper
• A handful green peas
• 1 medium-sized onion
• 2 stock cubes
• Black pepper to taste
• Garlic powder to taste
• Salt to taste
• Vegetable oil
To Seal The Nigerian Spring Roll:
• 1 tablespoonful all purpose flour
• 3 tablespoonful cool water
Directions For Nigerian Spring Roll:
• Finely chop the chicken breast and set aside. Wash and finely slice the cabbage and green bell pepper. Peel and chop the carrots into tiny bits and keep aside.
• Put the minced chicken in a pot, add enough water, a seasoning cube, half of the sliced onions and cook until done. When done, remove the chicken from the pot and set aside in a plate.
• Then put the sliced cabbage, carrots and green peas into the chicken stock (water) in the pot, add salt to taste and simmer until the carrots are tender.
• Now, pour into a sieve and drain out the liquid from the vegetables. Heat up a cooking spoonful of vegetable oil in a pan, add the remaining sliced onions and garlic powder and fry a bit. Then add the cooked chicken and stir fry until it turns white.
• Add the remaining seasoning cube, curry powder, black pepper and mix thoroughly. Then add the strained vegetables to the chicken and mix very well. Add the chopped green peppers and stir fry for 2 minutes.
• Now, bring it down and let it cool completely.
• In a plate, add a tablespoon of flour and a little water. Mix very well and set aside. This is for binding the Spring Roll wrappers.
• Next, spread out the Spring Roll wrappers and add the filling to it. Fold together and seal the edges with the flour mixture.
• Heat up the oil until it's very hot and fry the Nigerian Spring Rolls until crusty and lightly brown. Place them on a paper towel to drain out excess oil.
• Or place the Nigerian Spring Rolls on a greased baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 200°C, for 10-15 minutes.
• Nigerian Spring Roll can be served alone as a snack or with tomato stew or pepper sauce. Enjoy!
• Please share and leave a comment below, and don't forget to give me feedback on how your Nigerian Spring Roll turned out.