It is similar to Nigerian chicken pie and fish pie, the only major difference is that the pies are made with minced chicken and mashed fish respectively.
Below is a detailed and easy recipe to make delicious mr biggs Nigerian Meat Pie.
Ingredients For Nigerian Meat Pie Dough;
• 1kg plain flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 500g margarine
• 2 pinches salt
• 125ml cold water
Ingredients For Nigerian Meat Pie Filling;
• 500g minced meat
• 2 tablespoons plain flour
• 2 medium Irish potatoes
• 2 medium-sized carrots
• 1 medium-sized onion
• 1 medium-sized egg
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• 1 cup cold water
• 2 stock cubes
• Salt to taste
• 2 cooking spoons vegetable oil
Preparation For Nigerian Meat Pie Filling
• Scrape the carrots and peel the Irish potatoes, wash and slice them into tiny pieces. Wash and thinly slice the onions and set them aside in different bowls.
• Heat the vegetable oil in a pot, add the onions and stir for a while then add the minced meat and keep stirring till the meat turns pale.
• Now, add 1 cup of water, the stock cubes and thyme. Cover and leave to boil. Once it starts boiling, add the carrots and potatoes and cook till done.
• Next, dissolve 2 tablespoons of plain flour in half cup of cold water and add to the filling. This keeps the Meat Pie filling moist and prevent it from drying while baking.
• Add salt to taste, stir and mix everything together then keep the Meat Pie filling aside. Break and beat the egg, then set aside as well.
Directions For Nigerian Meat Pie Dough
• In a wide bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt to taste. Stir and add the butter then mix thoroughly until it is like garri or bread crumbs.
• Now, add the cold water in bits and mix very well till the dough is stiff. Knead the dough very well and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
• Using a rolling pin or bottle, roll it out to achieve a 5m thickness. Then use the cover of a pot or a Meat Pie cutter to make round cuts on the rolled out dough.
• Remove the excess dough and leave behind the round cuts. Scoop a tablespoonful of Meat Pie filling onto the center of the round cuts.
• Rub the egg on the inside edge of the cut Meat Pie dough and fold one end to meet the other end. Seal tightly by using a fork to press the 2 edges together.
• Repeat the process for the remaining dough and rub the egg on them. It gives the Meat Pie a golden brown look when done. This is optional though.
• Now, place the Meat Pies on the baking tray and set in the preheated oven then bake for 30 to 40 minutes or till it starts browning.
• That's it, your mr biggs Nigerian Meat Pie is ready. Serve with zobo drink or any juice of your choice. Enjoy!
• Please share and leave a comment below, and don't forget to give me feedback on how your Nigerian Meat Pie turned out.