It is similar to Nigerian Scotch Egg, which is also filled with boiled eggs but wrapped in ground beef instead. Below is a detailed and easy to follow recipe on how to make Nigerian Egg Roll.
Ingredients For Making Nigerian Egg Roll
• 2 cups plain flour
• 6 boiled eggs
• ¼ cup warm water
• ½ teaspoon yeast
• ⅓ cup whole milk
• 1½ tablespoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon nutmeg powder
• ½ teaspoon paprika
• ¼ teaspoon white pepper.
• 2 butter (margarine)
• Vegetable oil for deep-frying
Directions For Making Nigerian Egg Roll
• In a wide bowl, pour the warm water and add yeast to it. Set this aside for 5 minutes, then add the milk, sugar and salt.
• In another bowl, add the flour, garlic powder, white pepper, paprika and butter then mix very well until all the ingredients are well combined.
• Now, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth. Then place it again on a well floured surface and roll out about 1 inch thick dough.
• Using a biscuit cutter or the top of a glass cup, cut out six circles by gently pressing it on the dough and releasing afterwards.
• Gently wrap the cut out doughs around the eggs as evenly as possible, then pinch the bottom to make sure there are no cracks or opening on them.
• Cover the Egg Rolls and let them sit for 30 minutes. Heat up some oil, atleast 2 inches deep in a medium-sized pot until hot but not smoking.
• Now, gently drop the Egg Rolls with a spoon preferably, into the hot oil and fry in batches. Flip the underside and fry the top until both sides are golden brown.
• Remove the Egg Rolls with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to absorb excess oil. That's it, your Nigerian Egg Roll is ready.
• Nigerian Egg Roll can be served hot or warm with pepper sauce, soya milk, zobo drink or any drink of your choice. Enjoy!
• Please share and leave a comment below, and don't forget to give me feedback on how your Nigerian Egg Roll turned out.