It looks like Nigerian jollof rice when tomato stew is added. So, skip the tomato stew in the recipe if you would like your Coconut Rice to look like plain boiled rice.
Below is a well detailed and easy recipe to make the best Nigerian Coconut Rice.
Ingredients For Nigerian Coconut Rice:
• 500g long grain rice
• 100ml coconut milk
• 100ml chicken/beef stock (plain water)
• 150ml tomato stew (optional)
• Ground crayfish (optional)
• 2 medium sized onions
• 3 Seasoning cubes
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• Pepper to taste
• Salt to taste
Directions For Nigerian Coconut Rice:
• If you don't have tomato stew already, follow this link to make Nigerian tomato stew. Wash and slice the onions and set aside.
• Bring some water to a boil and add the long grain rice to it. Cover and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, then rinse and leave to drain in a sieve.
• Place the meat in a pot, add salt to taste, 1 seasoning cube, thyme and some chopped onions. Cook until done, then fry/grill the meat and set aside the stock (meat water).
• In a medium sized pot, pour in the tomato stew, meat stock and coconut milk. Then, add the remaining seasoning cubes, ground crayfish, pepper and salt to taste.
• Stir, cover and leave to boil for 5 minutes. Then pour the parboiled rice into the pot and add the remaining chopped onions. Add some water if the liquid in the pot is not at the same level with the rice.
• Now, cover and leave the Coconut Rice to cook on medium heat until the liquid in the pot is dried up.
• That's it, your delicious Nigerian Coconut Rice is ready.
• Nigerian Coconut Rice can be served with Nigerian vegetable salad, moi moi or fried plantains. Enjoy!
• Please share and leave a comment below, and don't forget to give me feedback on how your Nigerian Coconut Rice turned out.