Asun is a spicy and irresistible snack, popularly known as a small chop. It is originated from the western part of Nigeria and is often served as an appetizer in parties and other festive events.
It is a popular and delicious delicacy. Asun has a crispy texture and a distinct taste. It is similar to other small chops like gizzard, assorted meat and peppered snail.
If you are looking for the best Asun recipe, then you're on the right page. I am going to show you both grill and oven method of making this snack.
Below is a well detailed and easy recipe to make the best Asun (spicy smoked goat meat).
Ingredients For Asun (Spicy Smoked Goat Meat):
• 1kg goat meat with the skin
• 7 scotch bonnet pepper
• 3 green bell pepper
• 2 medium-sized onion
• 2 seasoning cubes
• 1 cup vegetable oil
• Salt to taste
Boiling/Grilling Method Of Making Asun (Spicy Smoked Goat Meat):
• Grind or blend 4 of the scotch bonnet pepper and 1 onion together to a smooth paste. Chop the remaining scotch bonnet pepper, onion and green peppers, then set aside.
• Wash the goat meat and place in a pot. Add a little water, the pepper and onion blend, salt to taste and seasoning cubes then cook until the water dries up. Don't burn it.
• Now, transfer the cooked meat to a grill. Brush some oil over it and grill on both sides, while turning constantly until the meat is soft and dry.
• Take it off the grill and chop into small bite sizes. Pour the remaining oil in a frying pan, add the chopped peppers and onion then fry for a minute.
• Add the chopped goat meat to the frying pan and mix very well. Then, add some more salt or seasoning if necessary and stir fry until the meat and ingredients are well combined.
Oven Method Of Making Asun (Spicy Smoked Goat Meat):
• In a bowl, add the washed goat meat, the pepper and onion blend, salt to taste and crushed seasoning cubes.
• Mix very well until all the ingredients are incorporated into the meat. Then, place in the fridge and marinate for 45 minutes or overnight.
• Pre-heat the oven grill at 180°C or 350°F 180º C. Grease a pan, by evenly rubbing a little vegetable oil in it. Then lay the marinated goat meat on the pan and place in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until the meats are lightly browned.
• Now, heat up the vegetable oil in a pot. Add the chopped peppers and onion and fry for a bit. Then add the baked goat meat into the pot and stir fry till the ingredients are well combined.
• That's it, your delicious Asun is ready.
• Asun can be served alone as an appetizer or with jollof rice, fried rice, coconut rice or fried plantain. Enjoy!
• Please share and leave a comment below, and don't forget to give me feedback on how your Asun turned out.